Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A year of Gratitude and Positivity

This year I have dedicated to be as happy and joyful as I can. I plan on looking for the good things, practicing gratitude, and being aware of the people who inspire me to do so.

I just sat down to my compute and jotted down a list of the last 20 or so people I saw in the last month and wrote out reasons why I am thankful for them. They all inspire me in one way or another, and I know that surrounding myself with such positivity will only encourage me to keep looking up.

It is so easy, and continues to become easier, to be negative. It takes no energy to complain, and yet it actually ends up taking all our energy. It doesn’t matter what the weather is, how busy I have been, how little sleep I have gotten, I am in charge of my attitude and behaviors. I have noticed how easy it has been to let the negative seep in while I am down and keep me there. This leads to nothing but lonely evenings, grumpy attitudes, and boring days. Everything I am against.

I am starting a campaign. I charge you all to join me in practicing a year of gratitude. Surround yourself by positive people, read encouraging words, listen to podcasts about happiness and joy. Surround yourself with light and actively pursue it.

I am going to start writing about the things I am grateful for. I am going to take my list of positivity warriors and expand on it. I am going to spotlight the people who inspire me. I am going to take note of the things I am grateful for. Writing about it will keep me accountable and it will be my way of actively and purposefully pursuing a heart of gratefulness and mindfulness and kindness.

To all my dear friends and families who celebrated the holiday season with me, thank you for your light and your spirits.

In my life today I am grateful for a clear sky and running at sunset, Mt. Hood was practically glowing. I am grateful for downhill skiing for the first time today. I am thankful for a night at home in the middle of a block of days on call. I am grateful for my affordable apartment with big windows, a cozy couch, and our Christmas tree that is still up far into January. I am thankful for the inspiration from The Alchemist which I just finished reading for about the 5th time. And I am thankful that Seven Virtues Coffee is within walking distance from my apartment. And lastly I am thankful for the warm shower I am about to take.

No comments: